– Accurately play out from the back.
– Teams to play possession based football, through the thirds.
– Players encouraged to be creative & clever with & without the ball.
– Recognise when to play forward & counter attack quickly.
– Understanding of how to change the tempo of the game (forwards, backwards and sideways
Out of Possession
– All players to be involved in winning the ball back.
– Teams to regain shape quickly.
– Players to provide & be aware of security at all times.
– Communication from back to front.
The Coaching Programme
1. All sessions should work from the coaching syllabus.
2. Coaches are to not be re-active & just work on what went wrong in the last game. If the same problem persists then address this accordingly.
3. Provide players with individual challenges/ tasks depending on whether they are struggling/ thriving within a session. Remember every player is different!
4. Coaches choose which topic they work on each week, however it must relate to the theme for that block of sessions.
5. Each block consists of 3 sessions.
6. The u7-u9 syllabus consists of mostly individual techniques.
7. The u10 plus syllabus has a mixture of individual techniques & tactical themes. This would increase dependent on age & ability.
8. Depending on age group & ability individual techniques can be practiced opposed or unopposed.
9. All themes link from one to another.
10. Although sessions are themed players will also be encouraged to use techniques learnt in previous sessions.
11. Give players homework each week. This could be to practice individual techniques or to read about/ watch football (relate to current theme).
12. U7-U9 is a 24 week syllabus. U10+ is a 30 week syllabus.
Example session structure, whole-part-whole (based on a 60 minute session)
5 mins – arrival activity e.g. kick ups (can they beat their score each week)
5 mins – technical challenge e.g. skills/ ball mastery
2 mins – introduction to session theme/ topic – focus for the session
10 mins – Whole = Match specific delivery which includes session topic. Coaching is done within a realistic match scenario
20 mins – Part = Specific attention to weekly theme e.g. possession. Providing repetition and practice in units or as individuals.
15 mins – Whole = Establish the key objectives from the previous game/ technical ‘part’. Allow free play, try not to interfere much. This is your chance to give lots of praise & reinforce session objectives. Give team & individual challenges.
3 mins – debrief recapping focus set out at the start of the session. Reinforce the learning objective. Ask the players questions, get their feedback.
Coaching buzz words
Security – defensive cover/ support
Trust – pass to players in tight areas, trust them to keep possession
Share – pass the ball
Join in – forward runs to support the attack
Shape – team shape
Commit & Destroy – beat a player 1v1
Play Tag – create space
Coaching Syllabus (U7 – U9)
Theme: Dribbling (weeks 1-3)
Topics: Using different surfaces of the foot
Change of speed/ tempo
Dribbling skills (step-overs, sole rolls, scissors)
Theme: Turning (weeks 4-6)
Topics: Change of direction & speed (different surfaces of foot)
Type of turns (scissors, Ronaldo chop, hook, cryuff, drag back)
Receiving to turn, End product
Theme: Running with the ball (weeks 7-9)
Topics: Part of foot (laces)
Where/ when to run (forward, sideways, backwards)
Theme: Passing (weeks 10-12)
Topics: Range & type of pass (short/ long)
Different parts of foot
Passing with pressure
Theme: Receiving/ Control (weeks 13-15)
Topics: First touch (into space, away from defender)
Part of foot (inside, outside, laces, sole)
Body shape and end product
Theme: Shooting (weeks 16-18)
Topics: Part of foot
Theme: Shielding (weeks 19-21)
Topics: Body shape/ angle
Ball protection (part of foot)
Theme: Introducing Defending (weeks 22-24)
Topics: Pressing (closing down)
Tackling type/ timing
MarkingCoaching syllabus (U10+)
Theme: Ball Mastery (weeks 1-3)
Topics: Dribbling skills
Playing under pressure
Forward runs with the ball (running with the ball)
Theme: Pressing (weeks 4-6)
Topics: 1v1 pressing
Recognising when to press
Pressing in opponents half
Pressing in own half
Protecting key spaces
Theme: Shielding (weeks 7-9)
Topics: 1v1 shielding techniques
Movement to receive
Runs in front/ beyond defenders
Theme Tackling (weeks 10-12)
Topics: Timing of tackle (when)
Type of tackle (slide/ block)
Awareness/ appreciation of what’s around (2nd defender)
Theme: Passing (weeks 13-15)
Playing forward quickly (counter attack)
Playing between the lines (between defenders)
Theme: Intercepting (weeks 16-18)
Topics: Reading the play
Timing of interception
body position in relation to opposition
control (weeks 19-21)
Topics: Receiving on front/ back foot
Playing under pressure
Angles/ distances of supporting players
Player movement e.g. overlaps/ underlaps
Theme: Marking (weeks 22-24)
Topics: Ball or goal side
Players or space
Speed/ angle of approach to ball/ player
Theme: Finishing (weeks 25-27)
Topics: End product shot/ cross/ pass
Creativity & imagination in 1v1 situations
Taking risks in opposition half
Long/ close range finishing (with pressure)
Theme: Defending in units (weeks 28-30)
Topics: Pressure/ cover/ balance/ support
Preventing penetration (team shape)
When to press, when to drop